, ,

For Eva, the month of January had many significant events.  She was born January 7, 1883, married January 11, 1902 (age 18) and died on January 12, 1922 (age 39).  Yesterday my Mom wrote about Eva’s marriage in her post Happy 108th Anniversary! and a few years ago I wrote about Eva and her death, which I’m reposting today.

Eva enjoyed singing duets with her sister, Violet. Her daughter, Virginia, remembers her soprano voice singing “Come with me Josephine in my flying machine”, “When Johnnie Comes Marchin Home”, “Bluebird of Happiness”, and “There’s a Long Long Trail Awinding”. Eva was a member in the Loyal Order of Moose, The Legionaires of Oilton, Creek, Oklahoma and attended church regularly.

click to enlarge

Virginia’s mother died on January 12, 1922 in Oilton, Oklahoma. The photo shown here was taken in 1917 and is Eva and her daughter, June. Eva gave birth to Albert Edward Fox (her 10th child) on December 21, 1921.

Based on the information on her death certificate, Eva may have had a heart disorder and she had a stroke (cerebral apoplexy) during her 20 minute labor with Albert Edward. Typically this causes the person to loose consciousness and they lie motionless then their lungs collect fluids, which results in pneumonia. Eva was apparently unconscious from her stroke from Dec. 21, 1921 until her death at 8:00 Jan. 12, 1922 (22 days). Eva did develop pneumonia acute and pleurisy and she died 10 days later from a cerebral hemorrhage.

Edward also developed bronco-pneumonia when he was 7 days old and he was sick for 3 days before he died on January 1, 1922. He was buried on January 2, 1922. Eva and her son, Edward, are buried with one another in the Highland Cemetery in Oilton, Oklahoma. Eva has a headstone in an Oilton cemetery but Edward does not, as you can see in the photo that has her sons Joe and Leonard standing by her headstone.

Eva’s physician, according to the death certificate, was a Dr. Wilson.  Virginia, my grandmother, told me that the Doctor was a black man who lived with his wife just down the street and he had his own hospital.  She remembers that her Mama really like him and Virginia thought that the doctor and his wife were really nice people.  Virginia was a young child at that time and she was fascinated with how white the palms of the doctor’s hands were.

joe-leonard-evas-grave-1-copy1Virginia was not quite 8 years old when her mother died. She recounts: “When Mama was going to have the baby she sent me to the country to be with friends. Before Mama died she sent word she wanted to see me. But when we got to town they had already taken her to the church. I went through the door and told them I wanted my Mama. They said ‘Kid get out of the way!’ I don’t know what happened then. The next thing I remember was being with the Harrah’s. I have no idea where my brothers were.”

Mr. Harrah may have owned the Barber shop, Theatre, and Grocery Store in Oilton. Mr. Fox may have owned a hotel across the street from the Harrah’s. According to the local papers, Mr Harrah was appointed as the younger Lineberry children’s guardian.  By February 1922 Willie and Bernita were their guardians and Willie escorted his younger brothers and sister to Virginia to be cared for by their father’s siblings. In the Oilton Gusher March 23, 1922 a notice to Creditors of Eva Fox to respond within 4 months to S. C. Harrah, Administrator.  –Posted: Aug 26, 2007

Further Readings: